Association of Age Groups, Parity and Socioeconomic Status with Abnormal Pap-Smear
Factors of abnormal pap smear
Objective: To determine the association of abnormal pap-smear results in women with the main triggering factors of their life.
Methodology: Pap-smear test was performed in 160 female patients (20 to 65 years old). Transformation zone was the area of screening. Pathological examination of each sample was performed and a cytological report was prepared.
Results: Total 31.25% (50) out of 160 patients were observed negative for cytology or for any inflammatory changes and remaining 68.75% (110) patients showed abnormal pap-smears. Out of all abnormal pap-smear cases, 60% (96) patients showed inflammatory changes and 8.75% (14) patients showed positive cytology for premalignant or malignant changes. Majority of the patients showing positive smear were 35 - 44 years old, highly sexually active (grand multiparous) and were belonging to lower socioeconomic status.
Conclusion: It was concluded that grand multiparous and poor patients in between the age range of 35-44 years are at high risk to cervical cytology and they should make their regular medical check-up and papsmear test to live a risk-free life.
Copyright (c) 2018 Journal of the Society of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists of Pakistan
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.